Who decides whether you are successful? What is the definition of being a success? Where do you register for the school of success? What title do I need to be deemed successful? How many “letters” do I need behind my name to have others recognize me as being successful?
Questions. We all have them. Challenges. We all have them.
How do you define success? Here are just a few definitions I found with a quick on-line search:
- The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted.
- The gaining of fame or prosperity.
- The attainment of honors.
I am a homemaker, wife and mother. In today’s society I am not seen by many to be successful. Yet…
- I have achieved what I desired, planned and attempted.
- I am incredibly famous and well known by my husband and children.
- I have achieved the highest honor of being loved by my family.
I am successful!
I homeschooled my children. Many in today’s society think that my children have not been properly educated and are disadvantaged.
- My son has a full-time job and works with software doing computer graphics. His goal is to make movies from other people’s writings. He wants to reach others and make a difference in the lives of others. He excels in Math and Science. He is thoughtful, kind, a good listener, and willing to lend a helping hand.
- My daughter has a full-time job and has spent the past five years as manager in the food industry. She writes fantasy-fiction. Her goal is to write a novel, be a wife and mother. She excels in the literary field. Words are her friends. She is always seeing the good in others and helping them unpack the gifts within them.
My children are successful!
I have been married to the same man for over 28 years. I am married to my best friend. Many would not see my husband as being successful, but…
- He has a full-time job. Works fearlessly to benefit his employer. He is always willing to help others. He has incredible insight on how to fix things and make them work better. He is a skilled welder and enjoys engineering new things. He is a skilled equipment operator. He is an artist at making the machine do what he wants it to do. It is an amazing thing to watch. He manages his home and family well. He is a very loving and giving individual.
My husband is successful!
In my opinion success is a mindset. How you see yourself is part of defining how successful you are. How you see others is significant. People are not the enemy. We are all on this planet together for a reason. I long for the day when we can see the good in others rather than fault finding.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” Winston Churchill
“Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.” Albert Einstein
“A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” David Brinkley
“Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself; do not look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” Bruce Lee
“To know even one life has breathed easier because you lived; this is to have succeeded.” Ralph Waldo Emerson